April 5th 2014- The 2nd annual Youth Peace Summit
– location: Unitarian Universalist Church, in Raleigh Court Roanoke. Free!
Plowshare Peace Center invites youth age 12 – 19 for a day of fun and informative workshops on Peace, Empowerment, Art & Social Justice led by facilitators and teachers from the community. Youth organizers also participate in facilitation. Arrive for registration 9 Am. Opening speaker ; Gene Edmunds, minister – 9:30;
First workshops 10 AM; see schedule below; art projects; free breakfast and lunch; entertainment by youth musicians; closing and comments 4 PM. A really great day! 2014-Youth-Peace-Summit-Registration-Form Your pre-registration will help us get a head count idea. You are also welcome to come on the day to register. Unitarian Universalist Church, 2015 Grandin Rd. at the corner of Brandon and Grandin.
There will be 4 workshop sessions: 10 – 11, 11- 12, 1-2 and 3-4 Breakfast and Lunch provided FREE THIS YEAR’S WORKSHOPS INCLUDE:
- Qigong, (pronounced chee-gong) – breath and body awareness
- Singing For Social Change - learn songs from civil rights movement and other songs of peace and empowerment
- Conversations with Afghan Youth - through a Skype link
- Conflict Resolution
- Stress Mangement 101 for youth
- Youth in Islam - what’s it like to be a youth in Middle East?
- Celebrating Diversity - what happens when you see someone being bullied because of their gender?
- Yoga and meditation for world peace
- Making Peace Cranes
- Activism through Social Media
- Drama practice to create a conflict/peaceful resolution scene.
- Peace Perspectives from a war veteran
- For more information Call Gary at (540) 989-0393, or Polly at (540) 598-1118 or email Plowshare@plowshareva.org or email@example.com If you are interested in volunteering during the day with food prep or registration time, call or send us a note. Thank you!